Sean Hannity appeared in a Donald Trump ad this week that prompted Fox to release a statement saying that he may have crossed the line.
It is no secret that Trump and Hannity have become very close over the past months. Hannity confessed last month that he gives the candidate campaign advice.
At this point, Mr. Trump has stopped doing interviews with all the main networks. Trump only appears on Fox where he tackles various issues with the hosts of Fox & Friends, Bill O’Reilly, and of course, Hannity.
The conservative commentator has been criticized on numerous occasions for providing Trump with the answers and the questions during their interviews. Hannity has often spoken very positively about Trump, but last week, the right-leaning radio host took things a step further.
The television pundit appeared in an ad called #HeartlandforTrump, which featured several people including Mark Geist and Donald Trump Jr. all explaining why they are supporting and voting for Trump in this election.
Standing in front of his iPhone, Hannity said that he backs Trump because he will protect his right to bear arms, put conservative judges on the Supreme Court, and the fact he will make Mexico pay for the wall. Hannity said:
“One of the reasons I’m supporting Donald Trump this year is, number one, he is going to put originalists on the Supreme Court, people that believe in fidelity to the Constitution, separation of powers, co-equal branches of government. He is a guy who will vet refugees to keep America safe. And of course, he’s going to build that wall, says he is going to have Mexico pay for it. That’s fine as long as we secure the country, and of course, we don’t want people competing for jobs.”
A spokesperson for Fox News stated that they were “not aware of Sean Hannity participating in a promotional video, and he will not be doing anything along these lines for the remainder of the election season.”
Hannity and Trump spent Wednesday evening together in what was called a town hall on African-American issues.